This morning Cathy drove back to the Franciscan Mission in St. Michaels with Lee following in the truck. She took us on a tour of the Rectory and the church ending in the basement offices where she works as the Mission Archivist. Then we went to her quarters in a small building behind the old convent.
|Cathy and Lee in the Dining Room in the Mission|
|Navajo Last Supper|
|One of the Guest Rooms|
|St. Michael's Church|
|Cross beside the building|
|The Sanctuary in the Church|
|Cathy at her desk in the Archives Area|
|Side of the Church|
|The Friar's Garden|
|Cathy passing the old Convent|
|Cathy's Home at the Mission|
The Franciscan mission was founded by Franciscans in the town of St. Michaels in 1898 at the invitation of Mother Drexel. This was to prepare for her founding of St. Michaels Convent, and St. Michaels Indian School in October 1902. St. Michaels Convent and school were established by Father Juvenal Schnorbus with Father Anslem Weber, his assistant. The site was donated by the Reverent Mother Katharine Drexel, head of the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament of Philadelphia, in 1898. Interestingly, Katharine Drexel was the niece of Anthony J. Drexel, the founder of Drexel University where Lee attended and received his graduate and Masters Degree in Civil Engineering.
The mission was for many years the headquarters of Father Weber’s fight for Navajo lands. The Franciscans operate from here in general fieldwork with the Navajos.
We still had more touring of the mission to do but we decided that we had better get on our way to Canyon de Chelly so we'll return and finish this tour another time.