After we went home and changed clothes we decided to drive over to Menor's Ferry and the Cathedral of the Transfiguration. We stopped and walked around Menor's Ferry which is a historical place in the park.
Menor's Ferry was a river ferry that crossed the Snake River. The site was homesteaded by Bill Menor and during the 1890s it was the only homestead west of the river. Menor's homestead included a five-room cabin, a barn, a store, sheds and an icehouse on 148 acres.
Menor operated the ferry until 1918, selling to Maude Noble, who continued operations until 1927, when a bridge was built at Moose.
The property was bought by John D. Rockefeller, Jr. in 1929 and he restored the structures and the ferry and donated the property to the National Park Service in 1953.
We wandered around looking at all the buildings including the store and we stopped to talk to one of the GTA seasonal workers, Judy Smith, who was on duty at Menor's today.
|Judy hard at work|
Then we drove the short distance to The Chapel of the Transfiguration. It is a small log chapel in Grand Teton National Park near Moose. The chapel was built to frame a view of the Cathedral Group of the Grand Teton Peaks in a large window behind the altar. It was built in 1925 and is owned and operated by St. John's Episcopal Church in Jackson.
|The Chapel of the Transfiguration|
After we left the Chapel, we drove a little farther and we thought about visiting the Potholes area but we want to do the hike and we didn't have our bear spray with us.