Monday, January 27, 2014

Mary Has Knee Replacement Surgery Today


Today we thought we managed to get out of bed in plenty of time to make it to the Valley Baptist Hospital in Harlingen, however, Lee forgot that we needed to fill the fuel tanks so that made us late. We couldn't find a parking place and so he finally just dropped me off and I went in not really knowing where I was going. I managed to find my way to the right area and then had to wonder if Lee would find me!

He eventually did and by then I was already getting prepped for surgery. They decided to make me first, wouldn't you know! Dr. Bassett and the anesthesiologist both came in to see me and explained what was going to happen. I was given a spinal block and a sedative so that I would sleep. It worked. I slept and slept and slept. I am highly susceptible to post surgery memory lapse. I may seem like I am awake but, in reality, I don't remember a thing for several hours. I just drift in and out of consciousness.

I told Lee to go home several times during the afternoon and he finally took me up on it around 6:30 PM. I finally woke up at 8:30 PM and thought I had just returned from surgery and wondered where he went. Naturally, during this time the Social Worker arrived and talked to me about what I wanted to do upon my return home - did I want home health care or did I want to go to a rehab facility. It didn't go well, to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment